Do you want to influence health outcomes as a family nurse practitioner (FNP)? In as few as 21 months, you can earn your Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) online from Nursing@USC, the MSN program offered by the Department of Nursing at the University of Southern California Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work.
Nursing@USC is an evidence-based program that prepares family nurse practitioners to provide comprehensive care to individuals and communities.
The online FNP program prepares students to:
- Understand how social determinants such as poverty and injustice impact health and how to incorporate these factors into diagnosis and treatment, as well as research and policy
- Appreciate that human relationships are fundamental to well-being and recognize that diversity and sensitivity to cultural and social differences are central elements in promoting health
- Advocate on patients’ behalf while leading broader social change that improves health outcomes for vulnerable groups
Nursing@USC trains FNPs to deliver care across the life span in a variety of primary care settings. Eligible applicants are registered nurses (RNs) who have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) and at least one year of clinical experience.
|Total Credits||49 credit hours|
|Time to Complete||
|On-Campus Component?||Two (2) on-campus immersion|
|GRE Required?||GRE is not required, although it may strengthen your application|
The Nursing@USC program features a curriculum grounded in evidence-based practice that explores how social determinants — the conditions in which people live, learn, work and play — affect health and well-being. The program blends face-to-face, online classes with in-person learning experiences on USC’s campus and at clinical sites near students’ communities. All classes are designed and taught by USC’s world-class faculty, who are experienced and respected nurse practitioners.
USC FNP sample full-time course schedule
* = On-campus intensive #1
** = On-campus intensive #2
In order to be considered for admission to the online Family Nurse Practitioner program, you must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident and have the following:
- One year of clinical experience
- U.S. registered nurse (RN) license
- Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) or Master of Science in Nursing (MSN) from an accredited college or university
- At least a 3.0 GPA in your BSN coursework
- Completion of a three-credit course in statistics with a grade of “C” or better
If you meet the above eligibility requirements, you will need to provide the following in order to be considered for admission:
- Current resume
- Sealed official academic transcripts from all postsecondary institutions
- Personal statement (one to two pages)
- Three letters of recommendation
- TOEFL score (if your native language is not English
Learn more about USC’s online Family Nurse Practitioner program.